I must admit that I wasn’t surprised when my doctor told me about 6 weeks ago that my main deficiency was Vitamin D. It had been a long, cold winter and I could feel the effects of SAD – Seasonal Affective Disorder playing havoc with my moods and body.
Vitamin D is known as the sunshine vitamin as the body makes Vitamin D when the skin is directly exposed to the sun. Vitamin D sufficiency, along with diet and exercise, has emerged as one of the most important preventive factors in human viagrarxhere.com health. Hundreds of studies now link vitamin D deficiency with significantly higher rates of many forms of cancer‚ as well as heart disease‚ osteoporosis‚ multiple sclerosis and many other conditions and diseases.
It is estimated that up to 90% of Australians suffer from Vitamin D deficiency, and the numbers are only rising as people continue to abstain from a life supporting nutrient that you can get simply by going outside.
Unfortunately we currently live in a society that has deemed sunshine to be as harmful a real toxic concerns such as smoking, poor diet and unhealthy lifestyles. It makes me think about how much money the manufacturers of sun block are making each day, and isn’t it them indeed who facilitate those studies that show how harmful sunshine is?
There answer is of course moderation as with anything. It is recommended that we all get at least 30 minutes a day of sunlight directly onto our skin, however keep out of the sun during the hours of 11am and 2pm. Sounds quite reasonable really!
Here are 11 facts about Vitamin D that you probably never knew, written by Mike Adams based on an interview with the author of The UV Advantage, Michael Holick:
- The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D.
- People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 – 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D. That’s why prostate cancer is epidemic among black men — it’s a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficiency.
- Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body’s bones and nervous system.
- Even weak sunscreens (SPF=8) block your body’s ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease – by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
- It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
- If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
- Vitamin D is “activated” in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
- Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body’s ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
- The sunscreen industry doesn’t want you to know that your body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales of sunscreen products.
- Even though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription required.
Around here, we do things a little differently...
Sign up to join the 6,000+ subscribers to my popular love-drenched notes sent directly to your inbox.